Summer Home Security Tips, What Do You Need to Know?
Don’t you love summer? The suburbs are so green and leafy, everyone is outside, and the Shore is just a short drive away. Have fun, but don’t forget your home security tips.
According to a report from the U.S. Department of Justice, burglary rates were highest in the summer. This is most likely due to the warmer weather and more people spending their time outside. This combination increases opportunities for theft. For example, have you ever left your garage door open for extended periods of time with valuables lying about? Let us help you reduce the risk to your home with some summer security tips.
Here are 7 Home Security Tips for the Summer:
- Assess Habits – Are the kids out of school and likely to be home alone more than usual? It’s a good time to review home safety tips with them, like locking doors and being aware of surroundings. Plus, with a smart home security system, you can give each child a personalized code so you don’t have to worry about lost keys.
- Remember Doors/Windows – Open doors and windows allow the fresh air in, but they can also provide an opportunity for potential thieves. While you deserve to enjoy the breeze, do consider closing and locking doors and windows when you go to bed. Even upstairs windows. You never know.
- Outdoor Lights – Adding lighting around your home and at your doors is a good deterrent for would-be criminals. Thieves would rather stay out of sight than risk being seen creeping around your well-lit home. You can even use timers on lights and/or home automation to make remembering this tip easy.
- Video Surveillance – Some of our customers appreciate having a 24/7 camera on your door. That way, if something happens, you’ll have a record of it. We’ll be happy to discuss the pros and cons of video surveillance on your property.
- Hide Valuables – It’s a good idea to keep electronics, good jewelry, and other valuables away from windows or lying in plain sight when you’re not home. Get into the habit of putting them in a drawer or closet when not in use. That way, if someone were snooping around your home, it’s one less tantalizing item to attract them.
- Don’t Leave Spare Keys Outside – Burglars know to look under doormats, flower pots, and fake rocks. Instead, you can leave a key with a trusted neighbor or better yet, have a keyless entry with your home security system.
- Vacation Tips – You already know that you don’t want to advertise you’re on vacation. Proven theft deterrents include having lights come on at dusk, having mail picked up, and an alarm sign in the yard. In fact, statistics show that homes without a security system are 3 times more likely to be broken into than those with one.
Other tips for home safety include keeping your hedges short and letting trusted neighbors know if you’ll be gone for a few days. That way, they’ll keep an eye out, and if anything seems odd, they’ll let you know.
Hopefully, these home security tips can help you make smart decisions when it comes to your home and family. If you have questions or want to improve your home security with a professional security system, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Based in Oreland, Pa., we serve Bucks, Montgomery, Chester, Delaware and Philadelphia Counties, as well as New Jersey and Delaware.