As we enter a new season, it’s a good idea to look at your current security system and make sure it works for your current needs. Moving into fall, many families spend more time away from home during the day due to school, and with the changing color of the leaves comes less daylight and longer nights. These give burglars more opportunities to break into your home or business. We at Advent want to help keep your family, home, and business safe, so we’ll look at some upgrade options for your home as well as security tips to help you this fall.
Tools to Keep You More Secure
With an Advent Security System powered by Alarm.com, you can upgrade your system to include Smart Home and Business functions. There are many options to choose from, and you can pick and choose which ones work the best for your needs. If you’re not sure, our sales department is well versed in the different choices and can help you custom design a system that includes the best options for you!
For example, as school begins, many parents will be at work when their kids come home from school. Does this sound like your family? Alarm.com‘s Access solutions are a great way to upgrade your home to make it more secure and kid-friendly. Having a spare key hidden around your door can be an unsafe option. It gives outsiders access to your home without your knowledge. Instead, you can use Smart Locks for your home and remove the need for spare keys, even if you have a child who needs access.
With Smart Locks, you can also create unique lock codes for different users. This not only allows you to create temporary codes for guests or workers, but you can set up notifications, so you know when certain users have arrived. Plus, you can even set it up to notify you if a user has NOT arrived when they should have. This is a great way to know if your children have arrived home from school without having to wait for a phone call. Give yourself peace of mind when it comes to access into your home.
Make Sure Your System is Working Properly
With the changing of the seasons, it’s good to take stock and make sure you’re doing what you can to help keep your home, business, and family safe. The first thing you can do is to make sure that your security system is up-to-date and working properly.
Although having an Advent Security System helps keep you secure, you need to make sure that everything is working properly. The best way to do this is by doing a test on the system. When we first install the system, Advent does a test to make sure everything is working. Unfortunately, things happen over time; a canceled landline or damage from a power surge might have caused your system to not work correctly. To do a test, first, call us at Advent to put your account on test. After that, follow the steps from our Testing Your System post to make sure your system is working smoothly.
Help Keep You Home, Business, and Family Secure
Besides a properly working security system, there are other things you can do this fall to help keep everything secure.
- Pay Attention to Your Surroundings: As the days get shorter, it becomes more and more common to return home once it’s already dark. Be aware of your surroundings, not only for potential intruders but also to stay physically safe. Try not to be distracted by your cell phone when you’re walking, especially in the dark. If your children walk home from school or after school activities alone, remind them to say in well-lit areas, groups if they can, and to avoid short cuts. Besides the Smart Locks previously discussed, it’s also good for children to have a safety routine when they get home, such as immediately locking the door and calling to check-in.
- Keep your home and business well-lit, inside and out: With the days getting shorter, having enough outdoor lighting will help protect you, your family, and your employees when leaving work and returning home. Well-lit areas help to deter thieves and make it easier for you to stay aware of your surroundings. If you’re going to be away from home, it’s a good idea to invest in automatic timers for lights, as well as outdoor lighting that detects motion.
- Keep all doors and windows locked: As people turn off their air conditioning, many turn to opening doors and windows more often. This could leave an opportunity for a thief to break in. Make sure when you’re not around or not able to pay attention, you close and lock your doors and windows. You should also check window and door locks to make sure they’re working properly. Plus, have a look for leaks around the frames. As the weather gets colder, leaks could damage the frames and make them easier targets for thieves.
- Keep trees, shrubs, and bushes maintained: Although they provide shade and can be quite beautiful, overgrown greenery can give burglars more places to hide or block the visibility to your front door. They don’t need to be removed but keep the shrubbery well-maintained to allow for more visibility around your home.
- Be mindful of social media: Although you may not take a vacation as the school year begins, it’s still good to keep in mind how much information you reveal on your social media. If you are planning a holiday, make sure you don’t announce your travel plans on public platforms. This just allows criminals to see when you’ll be away from home. If you aren’t traveling, but spend long hours away from home as school and after school activities start, try not to advertise when you and your family will be away from home.
Hopefully, these suggestions and tips can help you to continue to make smart decisions for your home, family, and business. If you have any questions or are interested in making some upgrades and changes to improve your home security, don’t hesitate to contact us. If you don’t have an Advent Security system yet, please request a quote by filling in the “Request a Quote” form, or call us at 215-576-7111.